Delays & Closings
For the latest school closing information, please tune to:
WFSB Channel 3
WTNH Channel 8
WVIT Channel 30
WTIC 1080 AM
WDRC 1360 AM
WDRC 102.9 FM
WILI 98.3 FM
8:30 a.m. to 11:20 a.m. (M/Tu/Th/F)
12:20 p.m. to 3:10 p.m. (M/Tu/Th/F)
Grades K-6 and The School Readiness Program 8:30 a.m. to 3:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal Calendar Scheduled Days
Pre-Kindergarten Half Day Program
8:30 a.m. to 10:55 a.m. (M/Tu/Th/F) AM Session
11:00 a.m. - 1:05 P.m. (M/TU/Th/F) PM Session
Grades K-6, the School Readiness Program & Full Day Preschool 8:30 a.m. to 1:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal Due to Weather
- A decision to close school early will be made by 10:30 a.m.
- All AM Pre-Kindergarten students will stay until 11:20. There will be no PM session for Pre-Kindergarten
- All students in Grades K-6 and The School Readiness Program will be given a lunch period before dismissal. There will be no recess period..
- Dismissal waves will begin at 1:10 p.m. for all students.
- All after-school community activities are also canceled.
- Extra curricular activities in all schools will be canceled except upon specific approval of the principal following consultation with the superintendent of schools.
2 Hour Weather/ Emergency Related Delay
PreK-6 and The School Readiness Program will open at 10:30 a.m.
Schools will use the following schedule:
AM Pre-Kindergarten 10:30 AM - 12:35 PM M/Tu/Th/F)
PM Pre Kindergarten 1:05 PM - 3:10 PM M/Tu/Th/F)
Grades K-6 and School Readiness 10:30 AM - 3:10 PM
Procedures for late starting of school will be the same as those for school closing; however, all pickup schedules will be delayed by a designated period of time. These procedures would also apply to all special education transportation. Dismissal waves will begin at 3:10 p.m.
PLAN AHEAD FOR EMERGENCY CLOSINGS
Not all early closings are as obvious to parents as those caused by inclement weather. A power failure or a heating/plumbing system failure could force a school to shut down. While radio announcements would be made, there is a good chance that many parents would not be aware that the children are being sent home early.
The purpose of early dismissals is to get people home and close the building. We therefore cannot hold the children at school or have buses bringing them back to us.
We urge all families/neighborhoods to develop a contingency plan so that youngsters will know what to do in this situation. Periodically review this plan with your children to be sure they remember all of the steps to follow. Please note: If the plan involves your children going to a house other than where they are normally dropped off, it should not require a bus change.